Chick peas (kabuli chana) - 1 cupMethod:
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1
Green chilli - 1
Garlic - 4 to 5
Ginger - an inch
Bay leaves - 2 to 3
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp.
Coriander powder - 1 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp.
Tea - 1 tsp.
Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak chick peas in water for overnight.
- Take a small piece of white cloth. Place some tea leaves in the centre, gather the cloth and seal its mouth so that tea leaves don't fall out. Keep this in the pressure cooker along with chick peas. Pressure cook until tender. Tea adds brown color to the chick peas.
- Cut onion, tomato and green chilli. Grind it in a food processor along with ginger and garlic and make paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry bay leaves for 30 secs. Add the paste and fry on medium heat until golden brown (The oil starts separating from the mixture).
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water enough to make thick gravy. Bring the gravy to boil.
- Add cooked chick peas (along with the water in which it was cooked, remove tea cloth). Stir well and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.