Preparation time :25 minutes
Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
3 tomatoes, chopped finely
2 large onions, sliced
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 cups grated fresh coconut
1 1/2 cups black peas, sprouted
1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
3 tbsps oil
2 tbsps coriander seeds
1 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
- Heat 1 tsp oil and add peppercorns, cloves and coriander seeds. When they pop, add sliced onion. Brown.
- Add coconut gratings and brown the whole lot.
- Cool and grind to a fine paste, adding a little water as needed. Reserve.
- Heat remaining oil and add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the chopped onion.Brown.
- Add tomatoes, sprouted peas(cooked) and all the spice powders.
- Add salt and boil, mashing a few peas with the back of the ladle.
- Add ground paste and sufficient water to make enough gravy. Add the kokums, stir and boil once.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with puris made of rice flour, or with rotis and onion slices.