Preperation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 min
Makes approx. 1 cup
4 Large tomatoes
2 bay leaves
4 to 6 peppercorns
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
1/2 capsicum, deseeded
2 tablespoons tomatoe puree (optional)
1/4 cup tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil or oil
salt to taste
* Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water
* Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes
* Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
* Heat the olive oil, add bay leaves and peppercorns and saute for a few seconds
* Add the onion, garlic and capsicum and saute for a few minutes.
* Add the tomato pulp and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 min untill the sauce reduces a little.
* Add the tomato puree, ketchup, sugar and salt and simmer for some more time.
* Finally, add the oregano and mix well. Remove the capsicum, bay leaves and peppercorns and discard.
Use as required.