Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
For the dalMethod:
2 tablespoons yellow moong dal (split yellow lentils)
1/4 cup masoor dal (split red lentils)
1 green chilli
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
6 to 8 bhindi (okra / ladiesfingers), cut into 25mm.(1") pieces
1/2 cup cluster beans (guvar), cut into 25mm.(1") pieces
1 carrot diced
1 sweet corn, cut into circles
2 potatoes, diced
2 brinjals, diced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
6 to 8 curry leaves
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
For the dal
- Wash the moong dal and masoor dal. Drain.
- Pressure cook the dals, green chilli, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, salt with 1 cup of water, till the dals are tender.
- Whisk the pressure cooked dal till smooth and remove the green chilli.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the bhindi, cluster beans, carrots, sweet corn, potatoes, brinjal and chilli powder and saute for 5 to 7 minutes till the vegetables soften.
- Add the cooked dal and 1 cup of water and salt and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.